At Redhill we teach phonics in a systematic way, following the highly structured Letters and Sounds programme. Throughout the Early Years and KS1 we teach phonics daily with groups and activities pitched tightly to match the children’s needs. The teaching of phonics is multi-sensory, encompassing simultaneous visual, auditory and kinaesthetic activities to enliven core learning
- Phonics is taught daily at a brisk pace
- It is also developed across the curriculum
- Progress is assessed and monitored through the use of AFL strategies and through individual assessments
- The phonics screening test is taken by all Year 1 children in June each year, with those children in Year 2 who did not achieve the threshold able to take it again.
- A whole school planning format is used to promote consistency and continuity. Each session includes the essential - revisit and review, teach, practice, apply and assess.
Please find the School's Phonics policy here