Our aims are that all children can
Design and technology prepares children at Redhill Primary to take part in the development of tomorrow’s rapidly changing world. Creative thinking encourages children to make positive changes to their quality of life. The subject encourages children to become autonomous and creative problem-solvers, both as individuals and as part of a team. It enables them to identify needs and opportunities and to respond by developing ideas, and eventually making products and systems. Through the study of design and technology they combine practical skills with an understanding of aesthetic, social and environmental issues, as well as of functions and industrial practices. This allows them to reflect on and evaluate present and past design and technology, its uses and its impacts. Design and technology helps all children to become discriminating and informed consumers and potential innovators.
Through design Technology and Redhill Primary school we aim to:
- To develop imaginative thinking in children and enable them to talk about what they like and dislike when designing and making.
- To enable children to talk about how things work, and to draw and model their ideas;
- To encourage children to select appropraite tools and techniques for making a product, whilst following safe procedures;
- To explore attitudes towards the made world and how we live and work within it;
- To develop an understanding of technological processes, products and their manufacture and their contribution to our society;
- To foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making.
- To develop children’s confidence in their designing and making skills.
- Develop there knowledge and understanding
- Guide children to use an increasing range of techniques, processes and resources with confidence
- Develop the confidence to make constructive evaluations of their own work and that of others
- Develop their capability to create high quality prototypes and products through combining their designing and making skills
- Develop and understanding of the way in which people have designed products (past and present) to meet their needs
- Understand and apply the main principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Here are some pictures from Miss William's Year 6 class, who managed to produce some lovely Sewing Key Rings! Check out some of the designs below.