Staff Training & Qualifications
Staff training needs are identified and planned for in response to our pupil needs and our anticipatory duty. In order to maintain and develop the quality of teaching and provision to respond to the strengths and needs of all pupils, all staff are encouraged to undertake training and development. All teachers and support staff undertake induction on taking up a post and this includes a meeting with the Inclusion Manager to explain the systems and structures in place around the school’s SEND provision and practice and to discuss the needs of individual pupils. The school’s Inclusion Manager regularly attends the LAs SENCO network meetings in order to keep up to date with local and national updates in SEND and is a member of NASEN. Below offers an overview of current staff training:
Mrs Denise Rock – SENCO/Inclusion Manager – Holds a Post Graduate Certificate in SEN and Inclusion, also known as the National qualification for Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators.
- Also a member of the BPS (British Psychological Society) Register of Qualifications in Test Use, number 1234 - a Specialist Assessor holding a Certificate of Psychometric Testing & Assessment.
- Is the school’s lead professional for Future in Mind Promoting, protecting and improving our children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing.
- Qualified as an ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant).
- Qualified as a Youth Mental Health First Aider.
Sally Hook Shadow SENCo – Currently embarking on the Post Graduate Certificate in SEN and Inclusion, also known as the National qualification for Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators.
Mrs Claire Freestone – Post Graduate certificate – Maths Specialist Teacher.
Mrs Daphne Smith – Qualified as a “Grief Recovery Specialist” Certified by the Grief Recovery Institute.
Mrs Faye Bailey - Qualified as a “Grief Recovery Specialist” Certified by the Grief Recovery Institute. Qualified as a Youth Mental Health First Aider.
The staff at Redhill Primary School have experience in working with lots of different children with specific learning or behavioural needs. Many of our staff have attended a wide variety of courses, received training or worked with the relevant agencies, in the following areas:
- Child Protection and Safeguarding
- Epi-pen training
- Lifting and Managing
- First Aid
- Expressive and Receptive Language difficulties including ELKLAN
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Nurture group training
- Mackaton training
- Sensory Integration
- Sensory Inclusion hearing course
- Developmental coordination disorder
- Cool kids training
- Behaviour management
- MAPA - Managing Actual and Potential Aggression
- LEGO Build to Express
In addition, we welcome outside agencies to come in and support us both in class and in staff training such as:
- Health Visitors
- School Nurse
- Speech therapy
- Occupational therapy
- 0-25 Emotional Health and Wellbeing team
- Learning Support Advisory Teacher
- Educational Psychologist
- Sensory Inclusion services
- Behaviour Support team
- Outreach support